Get Free Quotes Now
Child Care Portland
Safe Child Care Portland Options
When it comes to child care Portland services, do you know how to keep your child safe? Do you know how to choose safe child care services? Many parents don't.
The best way to choose a safe child care Portland option is to choose a service provider that is licensed by the state of Oregon and meets the minimum standards for a quality child care service. So what are those minimum standards?
In Oregon, a child care center is any facility that provides child care for more than 12 children. If a center meets this requirement, they must receive certification by the state as a child care center. Your best bet is to do business with those centers that care for more than 12 children and have been certified as child care centers. Certification must be renewed on an annual basis.
All child care Portland centers must meet building code requirements and meet minimum health department environmental standards.
Parents seeking to enroll their children into a child care service should ask potential services if they perform background checks on their employees. Many child care centers do not, but the most reputable services will go through the necessary steps to ensure they hire the most qualified staff who can pass a routine background check.
Another question to ask a child care Portland service provider is what references they check on potential employees. Some centers hire service providers right out of high school. Ask if they require experience or if their staff consists mostly of untrained child care assistants.
If you plan on hiring a nanny service or babysitter directly, you should check your own references and, if possible, provide your own background checks on potential sitters.
Before you select a child care service for your family, check with the Better Business Bureau to see if the service has any registered complaints. One complaint should not eliminate a service from consideration, but if there is a negative trend of bad complaints, then that should be a red flag. Also pay attention to how the child care service responds to complaints.
In addition to child care centers, nanny services, and babysitters, other types of child care providers include:
- Child care homes - These are child care centers that operate out of someone's home;
- Before or after school care - Children are watched before school and after school, and centers could provide homework assistance or extracurricular activities for the children;
- Vacation school - A short-term care option that may or not be affiliated with a religious group;
- Summer camp - Summer long or short-term camp with fun activities and unique educational opportunities;
- Back-up or emergency care - Child care provider that takes the place of primary care in the event of a break in service;
- Special needs program - Provides child care for children with special needs.
Regardless of the type of child care Portland you need, you should take great pains to ensure your child's safety by asking the right questions and making sure the service provider meets state certification or licensure requirements, performs background checks of its employees and follows legal and safe business practices.